This congestion relief bath salts recipe is a tried and true natural remedy at our house to give relief from colds, congestion and sinus pressure.
Illness hit our house hard the week before Thanksgiving and continued past the holiday. Days upon days of feeling miserable, this bath recipe has helped with the irritability and made life a bit more tolerable while cooped up inside. Even the little one took relief of soaking and playing in the bathtub with this mixture.
- 1 cup Epsom salt - it’s probably used the most for its ability to reduce pain and inflammation. The reason it works so well at helping congestion and sinus pressure is that it reduces inflammation in the swollen, inflamed mucous membranes.
- ½ cup baking soda – helps rid the body of toxins
- 10-15 drops Eucalyptus essential oil - can help open up and soothe the tissue in the respiratory system. It’s known to help relieve the symptoms associated with the flu, colds, congestion, sinus pressure, bronchitis and mucous membrane inflammation.
- 5-10 drops Peppermint essential oil - helps clear up congestion while providing relief from cold headaches and sinus pain.
- ½ cup sea salt - is rich in minerals and helps the body release toxins. Make sure you use for unrefined sea salt.
- 5-10 drops of Lavender essential oil - calms the body and mind, helping you to relax and sleep better (healing happens when your body is resting!)
- Food coloring of choice (the food coloring will not stain your skin or the bathtub)
Combine ingredients in an airtight lidded jar. Add a scoop of the mixture to hot running water. Soak for 20 minutes, inhaling deeply. Repeat as needed.
Until next time.